Today I would like to share a list of upcoming MMOs to watch out for. Whether or not they will suck, time will tell.
I came across the following video earlier today by the YouTuber nerdSlayer who provides some insight into most of these titles, should you avid reader wish to learn more.
Without further ado, here is my personal watchlist:
#1 - Legends of Aria (https://www.legendsofaria.com/)
Although I'm not crazy about the game title, I have to say it does look appealing. I say this mostly as a former Ultima Online players looking for a 21st century replacement. Make no mistake, this is an Ultima Online remake.
The game is due to hit Steam as Early Access "soon", after having been delayed multiple times already. It does have alpha servers running though, which you can access by supporting it from its official website.
Developed by: Citadel Studios
#2 - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen (https://pantheonmmo.com/)
I'm told this is the new EverQuest, though I'm not sure what that means, having never played EQ. It does look like a mix of classic RPGs with World of Warcraft 1.0, which is an interesting concept.
Here's some gameplay action featuring the streamer CohhCarnage:
I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one to see how it turns out. It does appear to need some work still however.
Developed by: Visionary Realms
#3 - Crowfall (https://crowfall.com/)
Crowfall is probably the best looking game of this list (aesthetically speaking), with the largest budget and being further into developement. It labels itself as a Throne War game, which from my understanding is a campaign style PvP game. In short, you invade player-controlled cities.
The concept is original to say the least, though it deviates from the persistent world style of MMOs. Curiosity peaked.
Developed by: ArtCraft Entertainment
#4 - Chronicles of Elyria (https://chroniclesofelyria.com/)
In Elyria you also see a new concept, where you play not as a character, but a lineage. When your character dies, you start again as one of his descendants.
Making your character mortal definitely brings a whole new layer to this game, but will it be enough to keep it interesting?
Developed by: Soulbound Studios
#5 - Ashes of Creation (https://ashesofcreation.com/)
Ashes of Creation is actually split into two games, one PvP (Apocalypse) and the other MMO. Apocalypse will be coming sooner and is currently in beta. The plan is for the team to develop the MMO using live data.
While I'm mostly looking forward for the MMO, the PvP game will ultimately determine its success, or failure.
Developed by: Intrepid Studios
I like the lineage concept of Chronicles of Elyria. It sort of gives some realism to the experience and continuity to the effort and work put into the game. Would be great to see more in-game footage for that one.
ReplyDeleteChronicles of Elyria doesn't seem to be that far into development yet, but it does have quite a bit of gameplay footage and Q&As available on their YouTube channel:
Deletehttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa7jRzCTpW2NCh4FK11y9jQ/videos